Friday, April 30, 2010

Thank You Eyjafjallajokull.

I booked a flight from New York City to Dublin for Tuesday, April 20th.  Unfortunately, this was the week just after Eyjafjallajokull erupted in Iceland and threw a nice big wrench in everyone's plans - especially those flying out of, to, or through London's Heathrow airport (like me).  I was ready to leave up until a couple hours before my flight on the 20th, when I finally hit the refresh button one last time on my browser only to find that my flight status had suddenly changed to 'cancelled'.  Bummer.

In the end though, it wasn't a bummer at all.  It gave me a chance to re-book my tickets (10 days later), no additional fee, and spend that much more time with Damian.  We went to the Cirque de Soleil show 'Ovo' which was incredible. Damian had been disappointed at a couple of their shows he had been to in the past years but I think 'Ovo' still did the trick for him too.  If you do see it, or have seen it, how badass is the tightrope walker?!  That stuff just seems unreal!

Ten days later I actually did fly from JFK to Heathrow and caught a connecting flight to Dublin, Ireland.  Turns out the volcano has sent some more spews of ash into the air and there are warnings that it could happen again, disrupting flights and messing up travel plans.  Um, guess we'll just have to see if I need to make Ireland my new home for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment