Thursday, October 1, 2009

Kayaking Sydney Harbour

Razzu and I took a two hour tour of Sydney Harbour by kayak. We completely lucked out with the weather - beautiful blue sky, nice and warm (not excessively hot or too cold as I was worried about that too). And we had an awesome guide who does the kayaking tours for fun - he works in IT as his day job: Patrick at KayakSydney.com if you're interested - highly recommended. It's not a whole company, it's just him. And he took the time to explain it all to us and take photos too, lots of them came out really nicely. He emailed us with the photos and a nice paragraph on what we saw.

Per Patrick, "Our paddle took us from Lavender Bay under the Harbour Bridge and along the shoreline of Kirribilli then around Kirribilli Pt opposite the Opera House and past Admiralty House (Governor General'sresidence) and Kirribilli House (Prime Minister's residence) to Neutral Bay. In Neutral Bay we looked at some classic Australian racing yachts Nerida (1933), Margaret Rintoul (1948) and Morna (1913) then paddled around Kurraba into Shell Cove and along Cremorne Peninsula to the lighthouse and into Mosman Bay. In Mosman bay we paddled to the 1897 yacht Sayonara then to Whiting Beach near Taronga Zoo where we landed for a walk to Little Sirius Point before ourreturn paddle. All up we paddle just under 12 kms."

And some pics!

And I think I should mention our outing to the Maritime Museum and the casino in Sydney also. The Maritime Museum was neat to walk through (and free! bonus!) and they had a temporary exhibit on swimwear through the ages (they were wearing some pretty funky things at some times!). My beef with the museum was that while they mentioned every other kind of fishing and farming off the coast of Australia EXCEPT pearling.
And the casino was massive. I even signed up for membership, which was free and landed Razzu and I two free drinks each (non-alcoholic, we got some coffee and sodas). I gambled big ($4) and ended up losing $2 total. With those odds I won't be gambling any more money in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment