Sunday, October 4, 2009

Melbourne: The MCG

We managed to catch our 11:55pm bus to Melbourne after a day of exploring Canberra.  We pulled into Melbourne at 9am (on a Sunday) and were both surprised that, considering we were sleeping on a bus, we both felt fairly well rested.  Good thing we weren't on the bus that took us from Sydney to Canberra though...did I mention that it was raining on our way there, and it actually started to rain inside the bus?  Yeah, that can't be good for business.

The bus dropped us at the Southern Cross station, on the west side of the city.  The hostel I decided we should check out was on the east side of the city center.  We walked it anyway and it only took us 20 minutes or so to get there.  We were lucky enough to get a room (we didn't have a reservation anywhere) and off we went in search of brunch.  Managed to find some good food not far from the hostel in a very European-style alleyway full of cafe's and tables.  We were already enjoying Melbourne.

After a bit of a walk around we decided to head off to the Melbourne Cricket Ground (more commonly known as the MCG).  I had read in our guidebook that the tours were interesting.  Neither Razzu or I knew the first thing about cricket (though a good portion of the year rugby is also played here), but decided that it would be a requisite stop.

Turns out that after a two hour tour we still don't know the first thing about cricket, but it was a great tour.  Two hours long with a pretty good guide.  And how fun to see such a huge stadium (they've squashed 130,000 people in there before!) completely empty.

A little fun before heading inside the MCG.
Lots of statues around.
We're inside now...actually on the stadium grass!
Hanging in an empty stadium.
Razzu's reporting antisocial behaviour.  Good on ya brother.
Good view, eh.
Wow!  The athelete's toilets!
And their drug testing rooms!
And of course, my good friend from the Paspaley 4 - Eddie McGuire in the media room.  (Check out my "Goodbye Paspaley 4" entry in August.)
Overall a good afternoon at the MCG.  Now perhaps I just need to see a game of cricket or rugby before I leave Aussie...

No comments:

Post a Comment