Monday, May 24, 2010

Peacocks

How random is this - there are a couple huge parks in the middle of Prague (they're not hard to get to, but not many tourists end up there since they're kind of tucked into random alleys) with dozens of peacocks roaming around.  Rita introduced me to the parks and from then on I was hooked and stopped by a couple more times after to take pictures or just sit and watch them.  Apparently I also unfortunately left just before all the little baby peacocks (just learned they're called 'peachicks'... how adorable is that) would be coming about, which is around June or so.

Here I found a peacock friend with all-white feathers.
Another, with a plume of tail feathers, sunning.  I love it when they lounge with their eyes closed and nose up - gives them an air of snobbishness mixed with pure paradise.
Trying to impress the ladies.
I'm not sure if this is the 'lady' this peacock wanted to impress, but she definitely looked pretty impressed.
And now for the grand display!
The close-up.
 Wait, this is his better side.  And...pose!
Back-side view.  He couldn't quite throw a look over his shoulders, he had too many feathers in the way.  And don't tell him this, but the lady just walked off at this point. He maybe needs to try making her dinner or lighting some candles.
Cool iridescent colors.
The back when he wasn't all plumed up.
C'mon peacock, shake yo tailfeathas.
I wandered into another park nearby that the peacocks also frequented and this dude was just chillin there.  I stood close to him to get pictures then just hung out for a bit, when he suddenly burst out in a screeching call.  Captured the moment:
On my way out of the park I saw this lady start to wander towards the bushes - immediately a bunch of peacocks, pigeons, ducks and other such anatidae started running towards her.  She reached into her little pack and started handing out corn or something for the birds - they were loving it.  And I'll be honest, she was loving it too.  She gathered quite the audience (of humans) as she stood around and fed them.
And check out her hair.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment