Monday, May 31, 2010

Sbohem Česká Republika!

Goodbye Czech Republic!  *Sniff*  So much to miss...

My last weekend in Prague Rik, Rita, and I took a walk to the Brevnov Monastery; the oldest friary in Bohemia, founded in 993 - which became a monastery of Benedictine monks.  We signed up for a tour (even though we were warned the tour would be in Czech) - they gave us books in English to read along with as we visited the different areas of interest.  Turns out we got a semi-personalized tour...we were the only ones on it but the guy didn't speak much English so he pretty much walked us to places, unlocked doors, and told us the page number to read!
My favorite part by far was the Romanesque crypt.  A stone church was built in the eleventh century, and the foundation is surprisingly well preserved underneath the current church.  It even includes a creepy pit they would put monks that didn't obey the rules into for days at a time...

Anyhow, the monastery was built after a discovery of a fountain - which they literally built over.  The spring is inside this building:
Here:
Peeking in.
R&R and the guide.
I wasn't able to get too many more good photos of the inside of the church and the rest of the halls, but if you do get a chance to visit Brevnov, it was pretty neat to see.  Not to mention there's a good place for a meal or cup of coffee and dessert right there too... I had to indulge in the coffee with cream.
A familiar sight: Rita searching for a four-leaf clover.  She found almost half a dozen while I was there!
A good last weekend in Prague before heading back the US.  How about that...British Airways flight attendants decide to strike just as my flight came around.  Luckily I wasn't too affected (less attendants on the plane than there would usually be), but I did sit in a seat from Heathrow to Boston - almost seven hours - that didn't have a working tv screen!  And I was so looking forward to watching Alice in Wonderland. :(

Thanks again Scheerlinck's!  Wishing you all the best with the move!

1 comment:

  1. Our pleasure! You were great company! Someone I could nag at when the yardmen were no good!!! By the way...... he's fired!!!

    And big correction. It was not prisoners that were sent into the pit days on end....... It were monks who did not obey to the rules!!!! Different story!

    ReplyDelete