Friday, May 14, 2010

Praha: Na Zdraví & Dobrý Den!

I took the train from Newry to Dublin the day before my flight to Prague.  I checked into a different hostel than my stay the first few nights in Ireland (this one had a lot less mazes, thank goodness) and took in the scene there.  One of my roommates was a dude named Kenneth Lightfoot from Boulder, Colorado.  Turns out he's a busker, is making the rounds in Europe (and has traveled to a lot of other cool places doing his magic shows), and he got his start in San Francisco (woohoo Fisherman's Wharf!).  I spoke to him for a long while and learned a lot about the world of street performing - you wouldn't think it, but there are lots of ins and outs and whathaveyous.  He had just arrived in Dublin and I shared what I knew of the layout of the city as he was trying to figure out the best places to perform.  I made a couple of suggestions and told him where I had seen other performers and debated which spots were the best and where we had seen the biggest crowds gather.  I really wish I could have been in town just one more day to actually see his show, but I'll just have to keep an eye out for him in plaza's around the world.  We even chatted a bit about Burning Man (he's planning to go one day), and I love thinking about the random possibility of running into him there.  Anyone heard of The Zip Code Man?  He's also from Boulder, has made a few appearances at Burning Man, and apparently his gig consists of audience members reciting the zip code they come from (anywhere in the world) and without hesitation he'll tell you which city they live in.  Crazy memory.

Anyhow, I managed to squeak by just barely avoiding another flight delay due to volcano ash and landed in Prague on May 13th right on time.  A big big thanks to Rita and Rik Scheerlinck (and Piet of course, for putting us in touch) - I really enjoyed my time with you and am so thankful to have had such amazing and generous hosts and tour guides!  I spent nearly three weeks in Praha and loved every minute of it.

Na Zdraví means 'cheers' and Dobrý Den means 'good morning' so they don't make too much sense being in my title, but they are the two phrases I learned the best in Czech, thanks to Rita. :)

Rita & Rik:
R&R and their home in Praha...soon to be emptied. :(
Shaggy, Bearded Collie, in her usual spot as you walk in the door, wondering if it's her turn to take a walk.
Post-lunch treats on the back porch - one of the few sunny and warm days we had.  Oh, and yummy mango popsicles. :)
View of the back of the house.
Fun with photography in the backyard.
Mystery house next door that never has anyone in it...as seen through a glass full of water.
Rita's fleurs.
This is a well-deserved rest!
More of the backyard.
Thanks again to the Scheerlinck's for letting me call this home for a few weeks!  More posts coming about my adventures in and around Prague...

1 comment: